Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I collect old children’s books. The older the better. There are endless yellowing and decaying nilla wafer scented tomes in the wide world, trapped in damp cellars, shitty thrift shops and antique houses that I seek out when I’m out and about. The pictures here were selected from a recent bargain buy at a joint in Brattleboro Vermont. The good folks sold me nearly 30 excellent old books, most from the 30’s, 40’s and 50’s, my choice for a golden age of illustrated kids picture books if there ever was one. This was an era of the hand painted, brilliantly colored scenes of American life in small towns and on the farm. There are a lot of images of horses, kittens, puppies, turtles, shiny shoes, pies, fences, kites, and bizarre close knit family bonding to be witnessed. I aspire to make art like this. These are artists and images that have gone unrecognized and forgotten for many a decade.



No comments:

Post a Comment